TU Berlin

Office of Student AffairsSworn translation and official authentification

Page Content

to Navigation

Official authentication and certified translation


Applicants with international higher education entrance qualification

Official authentication

Official authentications must always bear the original seal and signature of the authenticator. The official seal can be round or oval and contains an emblem. Authentications that only have a stamp on them will not be accepted. If the copy consists of several individual pages, then it must be shown that each page belongs to the same document. It is sufficient if just one page bears the authentication mark and signature, as long as all pages overlap one another (usually in the top-leftcorner) and are stapled and authenticated such that each page bears a part of the official seal. On notary authentications (with string and a seal mark), the authentication mark only needs to appear on one of the pages of the copy or transcript. Your documents may be authenticated by the following institutions: the schools or universities who issued them, or the relevant Department of Education in your home country, the Diplomatic Missions to the Federal Republic of Germany, the Culture Department at the Embassy of the country the certificate was issued in, the authorities and notaries authorized to carry out official authentications in the country in question. In Germany, any public authority that holds an official seal is allowed to officially authenticate documents. These include a Gemeindeverwaltung, Landkreis and lower administrative authorities (such as an Ortsb├╝rgermeister or Ortsvorsteher, Stadtverwaltung, B├╝rgeramt, Rathaus, Kreisverwaltung, etc.). Courts and notaries are also included. Please remember: translators cannot authenticate any original-language documents, only the translations they have issued themselves!

Certified translation

The translation of certificates essentially has to be carried out by an official authority, e.g. by the authorized department of the institution that issued the certificate, or by a sworn translator. Any translations done by German translation bureaus that do not fulfil this requirement will not be accepted. Any translations done abroad have to be carried out by an institution authorized to carry out sworn translations (or equivalent) in that country. Certificates must always be submitted in the original language of the home country, and also in English or German translated form. Certificates issued in French cannot be accepted, they have to be translated into German or English. Please remember: translators cannot authenticate any original-language documents, only the translations they have issued themselves! Please note that translations have to be certified. However, in case the copy of a translation which you submit bears the translator's original stamp then - and only then! - an additional certification is not necessary.


Quick Access

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe