direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

Legalization & Apostille


With a legalization, the authenticity of a foreign document / transcript is confirmed for use in another country. The legalization is done by a consular officer (diplomatic or consular representation) of the state in which the document / transcript is to be used.

In Germany, legalization is done by the responsible foreign representation of the country (consulate or embassy) in which the document is to be used.



For documents from many states, mutual legalization is not necessary due to international treaties - or it is replaced by the "Hague Convention Apostille." This is also a confirmation of a document / transcript's authenticity. In contrast to legalization, apostilles are issued by an authorized agency of the country in which the document / transcript was issued.

For further certification of a German document as an apostille for use abroad, in Berlin the Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO IIA, Zentrale Einwohnerangelegenheiten / State Office for Residents’ and Regulatory Affairs, Central Resident Affairs) is responsible.


Ask the foreign representation of the country in which you want to use the document whether you need a legalization or an apostille.

Pre-certification by the TU Berlin

If you have to have transcripts or documents from the TU Berlin legalized, then you will usually need a pre-certification. You can have this done here:

Examinations Office (Ground floor in the TU-Main Building):

  • Transcript of records
  • Diplomas

im Campus Center (Room H30 in the TU-Main Building):

    • Certificates of studies
    • Certificates
    • Doctoral degree certificates

      Please bring the original documents for pre-certification.

      Zusatzinformationen / Extras

      Quick Access:

      Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

      Auxiliary Functions

      This site uses Matomo for anonymized webanalysis. Visit Data Privacy for more information and opt-out options.

      You can contact us:

      By phone,
      or by e-mail.