The majority of Master's programs at the TU Berlin are offered in German, while some programs are offered in a bilingual (German/English) environment or only in Englisch. To gain admission, you must demonstrate proficiency in your program's language of instruction.
If your primary language is not German and you graduated from a non-German university where the language of instruction and examination was not German, you must demonstrate your proficiency in German by certificates. This requirement should be met at the time you submit your application.
German language proficiency (certificates)
A proof of German language proficiency is necessary for all studies that are not held in english.
It is not necessary for:
- German citizen
- Applicants with a university entrance qualification (language of instruction: German) obtained by a German-speaking institution (proof is required) or
- Applicants for international master's degree programs
following certificates are acknowledged. Other proofs cannot be
- DSH-2 with registration at German Rector's Conference
- DSH-3 with registration at German Rector's Conference
- Goethe-Zertifikat C2 (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom - GDS) or Kleines Deutsche Sprachdiplom or Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP) of Goethe-Institut
- das "Deutsche Sprachdiplom" of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, Level II (DSD II)
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung II (DSP II) of Sprachen- und Dolmetscher-Instituts München - equivalent according a decision of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany Download 
- TestDaF (the sum of the four subtests have to amount
at least 16 points, a minimum grade of 4 must have been achieved in
every subtest at the level of the TestDaF).
ATTENTION: In case you will not receive your TestDaF certificate in due time, but you already took the exam with the results being published online before the closing date for your university application, then please submit instead a printed version of your confirmation of registration for the TestDaF examination, containing the examination date as well as your TestDaF-registration number. Uni-assist will check if you have reached the required level of the TestDaF. For more information, please see language certificates at uni-assist.de.
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
- successfully passed examination part Deutsch of assessment test at Studienkolleg (FSP Deutsch)
- examination of a German language Gymnasium (language of instruction: German)
Please regard, only final certificates about your German language proficiency can be accepted. It is excludes to accept provisional language certificates. Please do inquire on time about examination dates and how long it will take to issue the final certificate: approximately 6 months before respective application deadline.
Central Institute of Modern Languages - Zentraleinrichtung Moderne Sprachen 
University Prepartory School/Studienkolleg 
If you are planning to study at our university in a Master's Program (or Bachelor's program) offered in German and you can not demonstrate your proficiency by the required certificates, you can apply for the "Propädeutikum" at our preparatory school. For more information click here. 
English language proficiency
English language proficiency is necessary for all international Master's degree programs at the TU Berlin and for programs offered in a bilingual (German/English) environment. Please check the specific entry requirements  of your desired master's degree program for detailed information.
If you want to submit a TOEFL certificate, please use the uni-assist code 2727 at your test center.
- Deadlines 
You can contact us:By phone,
or by e-mail.
- Kontakt & Sprechzeiten 
Graduate admission (address & office)TU Main Building
Room H 48-50
Straße d. 17. Juni 135
Fax: +49(0)30 31428442